By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. You will only see this message once.

Veteran Car Club South East Section
To encourage the use and assist in the acquisition, restoration, preservation, exhibition and maintenance of Veteran and Edwardian motor vehicles manufactured up to and including 1918

Who would you use to crack test an cast axle

Posted by Chris_Loder 
Who would you use to crack test an cast axle
February 23, 2014 11:43PM
I am looking for somewhere to crack test some of the parts of the Daimlar, Great to find someone close to Horsham
Re: Who would you use to crack test an cast axle
February 27, 2014 04:25PM
Hello Chris

XRN Engineering in Milford (nr. Godalming) do a great job both pressure and crack testing. Pricing is realistic and they are usually pretty quick. Tel.01483 861777 or 01483 862888.

Cheers

Mike
Re: Who would you use to crack test an cast axle
March 05, 2014 12:47AM
Hello Chris,

I haven't used any companies offering crack testing (non destructive testing) and don't know of any locally but I'm sure a Google search would find some. There are several different methods of non destructive testing including Magnetic Partical Inspection (MPI), and X-ray. I have always carried out my own testing using the Liquid Penetrant Inspection (LPI) method. This uses a cleaner to thoroughly degrease the metal, a colour penetrant and then a white developer. This is normally supplied as a kit of 3 aerosol spray cans. RS Components sell the kits and they can also be found on ebay for about £20. The LPI and MPI methods will only detect cracks or defects on the surface of the metal whereas x-ray will obviously find defects within the metal.

Hope this helps.

David
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

You would like to subscribe to the Email mailing list, Please contact the Website Co-ordinator - Chris Loder - info@veteran-cars.co.uk